Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wishbone Remembers Grass!


When I found a few more old photo's 
of Wishbone and Annie the other night,
I almost cried.
I knew I would share them here in a blog post,
but I didn't know when or how until this morning when this idea popped.

If THIS,
these photos and the music
doesn't make the Zoo feel anything about the way
they are forcing this poor Bear to live,
they are truly cold-hearted people who shouldn't be in animal care.

I made it, so I've seen it over and over
and it still makes me cry, every time.
Will the San Francisco Zoo?


UPDATE 12.7.11 I have recently learned that sweet Wishbone has experienced back problems for a few years. I actually saw him take a tumble off his outdoor shelf bed last weekend, falling from the distance what appears to be about 4+ feet onto the concrete below. It was horrible to watch, and I'm sure even more horrible for him to experience. ... I ask the Zoo, how can you with good conscience have let and continue to let a senior animal with bone issues walk on concrete exclusively? ... It would seem for not only his enjoyment, enrichment, right to a natural surface, but that for health and safety issues that he should be provided with a soft surface, such as grass.

UPDATE 12.8.11


Please view the video on the last post projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com

If you support this crusade, please email San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson - tanyap@sfzoo.org

Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Bless Wishbone's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @amelia - I KNOW! He is a precious boy and deserves some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. has the zoo or keepers or anyone given you a reason why they haven't made an effort to get grass? do they not think it makes any difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous - thank you for your comment. i actually have a post in progress about this. ... i was told once before he "didn't need it", and recently i was told "he didn't want it" and "that he would only rip it up". all are just excuses in my opinion, and i've also been told this is all just "my opinion".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, don't know why the zoo disrespects animals as they do. They tout being educational, etc. etc. etc.... but they need to be educated when it comes to respecting and providing simple comforts to these incredible and very special animals. My grandkids love Wishbone and watched the video. Well, Leo, it completely moved my family to tears... now...let's see if the zoo is "moved to tears" and gets Wishbone the comfort he needs for his health and enjoyment. He is adorable. Keep us posted on his plight. We will come visit him this weekend. It would be nice to see him in one of the meadows and a small grass patch being created. Thank you for all you do to show your love of these wonderful animals and keeping us posted and in the "loop of knowledge" on all of the grand creatures that live there. Hope we see you soon....grandkids say HI !!!

    ReplyDelete