Friday, November 11, 2011

Rotating Bears



When I started this crusade, it was all about Wishbone, because he has no access to Grass. That did not take away from my feelings about the situation that Pike the Polar Bear was in. In short, there is a meadow next to her concrete Grotto that she can have access to. In length, please read the post titled "Polar Bear Enjoys Rare Visit to Grass."

In recent months I have questioned this a few times, and most recently (prior to the above sign being posted and my continuous blogging about these two Bears lack of daily access to natural landscaping) was told that Pike (and Andy when she was alive) had regular access to the meadow. Noting that the access was a daily rotation. In my opinion, from the amount of days I had been visiting, that was just not true. Also note that in the same breath, it was added that "They don't like it as much (as Ulu)."

Soon after, I did begin to see Pike in the meadow! Interesting that, for all the other supposed time she was there on an every other day basis, I hadn't seen her in the meadow, in over six months.

About a month ago the above sign appeared. Interesting.

An added observation I recently made, is that the Keeper board sign above (handwritten one) that has been at Ulu's Grotto for I'd say a couple years, but I'll go with at least a year, states "If you don't see her here, she may be in the yard (meadow)." There is no sign that this is a Polar Bear Grotto, but there is a sign about Polar Bears at the meadow/yard (Grotto). There is the same species sign at Pike's Grotto. To me this shows that the meadow has always been considered Ulu's home. Which does not indicate that Pike had previously been regularly rotated to the meadow.

I am grateful that this now seems to be a priority, as it is much needed. I don't know if its daily, as I have been trying to keep track from my visits. I would hope it is. Since blogging seems to be having some effect on what's going on there, I will throw this out there. It would be more beneficial to the Animal if they have access to the landscaped areas daily. Rotating these two once a day so they BOTH have daily access is not a huge task. The Big Cat Keeper manages to rotate 7 animals several times a day, rotating 2 is not a drama from what I can see.

NOW if we can just get Wishy some friggin' Grass, all the raggin' on this blog would cease. Wouldn't that be great? YES it would!


UPDATE 12.8.11

Please view the video on the last post projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com

If you support this crusade, please email San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson - tanyap@sfzoo.org

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment