Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Project Get Wishbone Grass!

Wishbone the Andean Bear (I believe) is the only Animal living at the Zoo who is exclusively on concrete. This is cruel.

I approached this concern, during an open ended correspondence I had with the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson. When at the time both Andean Bears (a female was still living) and the Polar Bears (two, Pike and Andy, who has since passed) were living on concrete flooring. That was a year and a half ago and the situation for the male Andean Bear has not changed. There was a slight change for Pike which I will post on later, as her situation is a bit different.

On Thursday March 10, 2011, I sent out packets of information to four San Francisco Zoo VIPs. Those VIPs were, Nick Podell, Chairman of the Board, San Francisco Zoological Society, David Stanton, Board Member, San Francisco Zoological Society, Larry Martin, San Francisco Park and Recreation Commissioner, and San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee.

I had been preparing information on two separate issues I wanted to bring to their attention, prior to my current Membership revoking issue. One of the issues concerned the Andean Bear Grotto cruelness.

The situation in detail is outlined in both letters I sent out. These letters are in two following blog posts. Keeping in a time line, the first is to the Director and the second is to the VIPs. Along with the letters are photos that accompanied. There was no response from Director Peterson when I reached out in 2009 and there has been no reply from any of the VIPs contacted, regarding any of the issues I put forth, my Membership Revoking, Animal Enrichments, or the Andean Bear Grotto cruelness. This information was also recently sent with no responce to Sally Stephens, Chair Commission of Animal Welfare and Control City of San Francisco. Sally Stephens holds a seat at the monthly Joint Zoo Committee Meeting.

It is not my intent for Wishbone to be be removed from the home he has lived in for most of his life, it is my intent to bring attention to his living situation and call for changes to be made in the simplest of form, bringing a small grass surface into his home. This is not an impossible task, nor is it costly. The above ground option that I suggested in the letter to Director Peterson is doable and should be done. I know for a fact that a Keeper tried with Management resistance to get the Andean Bears access to the Grizzly Gulch Meadow. That didn't happen in Wishbone's companion's lifetime. Let's make sure it happens in Wishbone's!

Endear yourself to precious Wishy, in this recent photo series. He is a happy boy, and makes his own fun. I'm sure he would be happier and have alot more fun on a softer surface like grass. Love you Wishy!

http://gooberssfzoofriends.shutterfly.com/6549

UPDATE 12.8.11

Please view the video on the last post projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com

If you support this crusade, please email San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson - tanyap@sfzoo.org

Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Lee Anderson, AndiecatttJune 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

    I know precious Wishbone personally as I visit the zoo quite often. He's a sweet bear that love to daydream. (perhaps daydreaming of grass under his feet). I believe it's cruel for an animal to only know the feel of cold, hard concrete, and in the summer, hot concrete!!! Andean Bears are from So. America and live in rain forests and mountains. Even though Wishy was born here, living on concrete is not natural. The zoo always says "he is used to it",well, my response to that is "that doesnt make it right". I have even offered to fund a grassy area and was met with "oh, that's a union job,etc". Well, what do these landscapers do? I never see them around. What would be so hard about making a 15 by 15 foot rocked, sod area for Wishbone to enjoy his grotto in? He's a very special Bear and a great Ambassador to zoo visitors. His partner Annie passed last year and she never knew the feel of grass under her feet. Let's make this happen for Wishy!!! I urge everyone to please put in a comment, contact the zoo, whatever you have to do because this is cruel and disrespectful towards a wonderful animal like Wishbone. Let's get Wishy grass NOW !!! I love you Wishy, hang on precious boy, we'll get you grass!!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee - I feel the same way. I must say that I do think the new landscaping team has been doing a great job! They have been more attentive and creative than those in the past, that is why I think they could do this project effortlessly. There is no reason any of the Bears should only have a concrete option. There should be a grass option whether a patch in their grotto or their access time in the meadow. With all the big money donors the Director courts, if proposed I'm sure someone would fund this project. Someone paid 20k to name a Hippo who already had a name after a baseball player, surely there is someone in that circle who would care enough to make sure this Bear lived out his life on a soft surface. What about the Hearst Corporation who funded Grizzly Gulch? Which I might add is connected to a Grotto that also has grass. Maybe they would like to continue helping the Bears and get Wishbone some grass. Geez we aren't talking a rebuild, we are talking about a bit of landscaping!

    ReplyDelete