Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Andean Bear Grotto - Letter to Zoo Director


Happy Bears playing on grass!


This is an excerpt from an email I sent to Director Tanya Peterson dated October 15, 2009, in regards to the Andean Bears living on concrete.

(start) ... For sometime, I have thought that Wishbone and Annie would love to have some grassy area. See a picture from when they had access to the field. They look happy and energized by the option, just as it has done for Ulu. I know that moving all the bears around so they have access is probably a chore, but there is a way to bring this to their enclosure. I have thought that adding huge rocks around the raised area to the left and filling it would be the obvious quick fix. I altered my idea when I saw two additions to other enclosures. First the circular platform of grass contained by logs that is in the Big Cat Grotto that housed the cubs OR more recent the faux rock border that has been built in Pike and Andy's home. Something like that would be great. Fill it (and the Polar's) with sand and grass and I think that would bring alot to their lives. I think it would be more beneficial to them than that huge log (ed. note: the huge useless stump standing upright to the left of the enclosure, not the log play area to the right that he likes).

I know it seems I'm on a grass crusade for everyone, but honestly it just seems more natural than mostly concrete and dirt surfaces and it seems like a relatively inexpensive perk! ... (end)

UPDATE 12.8.11

Please view the video on the last post projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com

If you support this crusade, please email San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson - tanyap@sfzoo.org

Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment